Macports is now group 'owner' of most of my files. Wierd.

Adrian Simmons adrinux at myopera.com
Wed Nov 27 07:37:39 PST 2013

Hello,

Just debugging an ssh connection problem and happened to look at my
~/.ssh folder only to find most of the folders and files now have the
group ownershop set to 'macports'. Then looked higher up my tree and
find most of my home folder is set to group 'macports' and a step
further up the hierarchy shows that all users on the system have their
home folders set to user:group or username:macports instead of
username:wheel or whatever it is osx uses these days.

I'm thinking this might be a group id number collsion or something, and
that it's probably fixable with a shell script. Also thinking it doesn't
seem to cause any apparent problems...but still it's worrying.

So questions:
Anyone else seen this?
Anyone else had to fix this?

The problem even seems to extend to other disks and drive partitions...

Yours confusedly,

Adrian
adrinx at myopera.com