Macports is now group 'owner' of most of my files. Wierd.

Adrian Simmons adrinux at myopera.com
Wed Nov 27 12:50:10 PST 2013

On 27/11/2013 16:40, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I would be curious to know how this problem arose in the first place. Seems hard to believe we could have been creating the group with the same id as an existing group. Also seems hard to believe that the migration assistant would have caused this. For now I remain confused.

I think the last proper clean install I did was for 10.7, for 10.8 and
10.9 I've just upgraded in place. I did end up reinstalling macports
using the pkg installer for 10.9. Point being that I probably had old
macports user/group hanging around, which seems to be a prerequisite for
this occuring.

Did try digging about with Time Machine, but the relevant file in
/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/groups doesn't list the primary
ID. So have no idea how long its been like this.

I finally managed to hunt down where macports would have checked for and
added the macports user/group to the postinstall script in the pkg
installer.
So in the end I extracted the relevent bit of code into a script, gist
here https://gist.github.com/adrinux/7682884

Deleted the macports user and group with
/System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.app and then ran that
script. I've ended up with macports user and group both having a primary
ID of 502, instead of 20 and file group ownership is now showing as
'staff' again as it should do all over my /User folders.

I should probably add this solution to that trac issue.

Adrian
adrinx at myopera.com