Octave upgrade failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 3 13:47:17 PDT 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 13:04, SG KIM wrote:

> Hello macport experts,
>
> I wish to install pygame via macport, but I've encountered an error:
> --->  Rebuilding in order
>      octave @3.2.4 +atlas+gcc45
>      texlive-bin @2012 +x11
> --->  Computing dependencies for octave
> --->  Building octave
> Error: org.macports.build for port octave returned: command execution failed
> Please see the log file for port octave for details:
>     /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_math_octave/octave/main.log

octave failed to build. We would need to see *relevant* portions of the main.log file to know why. Also this was not a clean build. So clean octave, try again, if it fails again, see if any existing tickets in the issue tracker are applicable, and if not, file a new ticket.

> and an attempt to upgrade octave also failed.
> > upgrade octave
> Error: arpack: Variant openmpi conflicts with gcc45
> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

The openmpi and gcc45 variants cannot be used together. (The port previously erroneously allowed them to be used together.) Decide which one you want (if any), clean the port, reinstall with that variant.