sudo port update outdated does not work

Jelbert Holtrop holtrop at jelbert.nl
Thu Oct 17 04:18:09 PDT 2013

Hi,

For getting help on this I thought it best to join the list. In the past I made some software for iOS and for years I did nothing on mac and now I want to teach myself python. For that I was installing a IDE, that did not go as it should and from there I came to the conclusion that a update of macports would be a good idea.

My system a mbp 3.1 with osx 10.7.5
first macports would not upgrade because I had an old xcode installed 3.2.1
So I upgraded that one to 4.6.3 and installed the command line tools

First problem was with ncursesw and found a workaround for that:
sudo port -f uninstall ncursesw @5.7_1
then sudo port update outdated worked until it came to ImageMagick

Error: org.macports.configure for port ImageMagick returned: autoreconf failure: command execution failed
Please see the log file for port ImageMagick for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_ImageMagick/ImageMagick/main.log
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
Error rebuilding ImageMagick
    while executing
"error "Error rebuilding $portname""
    (procedure "revupgrade_scanandrebuild" line 382)
    invoked from within
"revupgrade_scanandrebuild broken_port_counts $opts"
    (procedure "macports::revupgrade" line 5)
    invoked from within
"macports::revupgrade $opts"
    (procedure "action_revupgrade" line 2)
    invoked from within
"action_revupgrade $action $portlist $opts"
    (procedure "action_upgrade" line 25)
    invoked from within
"$action_proc $action $portlist [array get global_options]"
    (procedure "process_cmd" line 93)
    invoked from within
"process_cmd $remaining_args"
    invoked from within
"if { [llength $remaining_args] > 0 } {

    # If there are remaining arguments, process those as a command
    set exit_status [process_cmd $remaining..."
    (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 4857)
macje-2:~ jelbertholtrop$ sudo port upgrade outdated

then it hung on groff

sudo port clean groff

sudo port -d update outdated

checking for gs... gs
checking for pnmcut... found
checking for pnmcrop... found
checking for pnmtopng... found
checking for psselect... found
checking for pnmtops... found
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk

and then it sits there with no activity forever

At this point I wonder if it would not be better to uninstall macports, as discribed http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html, and also the old \developer framework from xcode 3 and install everything again?
Would this also remove all python stuff?

Thanks,

Jelbert