guntar missing on Mac OS X Maverics

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 23 05:48:58 PDT 2013

On Oct 23, 2013, at 07:27, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2013-10-23 12:49, Toshiyuki Kamada wrote:
>> I managed to symlink /usr/bin/tar to /usr/bin/gnutar as a quick avoiding glitch.
>
> If you install from source–which is the recommended way at the moment
> until a disk image is available–you avoid this problem.

It is not only the recommended way, it is the only way: the binary installers are for specific OS X versions, and will prevent installation on the wrong OS X version.

So I still don’t know how users are managing to get into this situation, unless it’s by upgrading to Mavericks and forgetting to recompile MacPorts afterward like the Migration page says to do.