Mirrors list

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Oct 23 14:33:31 PDT 2013

It's just one of many possible solutions.

You can get a list of the domains you need and hard code them in /etc/hosts, and then use an open DNS provider.
I think dnsmasq will allow you to use one upstream DNS server for a certain domain tree (e.g. subdomains sharing a common domain) while using the default upstream DNS for everything else.
There are probably other DNS programs available that may provide the same or more functionality.

As for making such solutions more widely known, the user must be convinced that their situation could be remedied. People will give up when they find out they're trapped by broken DNS; in reality there may be many easy solutions. If they're not aware of how DNS works then they may not see it as problem to begin with. So education would be my suggestion :-)