gcc44 configure failure (was: Re: another problem)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 27 09:13:01 PDT 2013

On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:08, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>> Unable to execute target 'install' for port 'gcc44': /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_gcc44/gcc44/work/gcc-4.4.7/libjava/classpath/lib/java/security/cert/CertificateExpiredException.class: no such file or directory
>>>
>> Ah, I see now why you mentioned java. gcc44 does have java features; I suppose it might require java to be installed.
>>
> Possibly gcj should be disabled if there's no java installed.

But then you have a port that installs itself differently depending on the user’s system, with no outward evidence that this has happened.

If we change gcc4x ports to allow java to be optional, then I’d want a +java variant (like development versions of gcc4x ports usually have anyway), and it could default to on. Optionally we could check if java is absent and if so default it to off (and if the user still selects it manually, then inform the user they need to install java).

But then ports that depend on gcc4x’s java features would have to employ the active_variants portgroup to check that the java variant was used. That’s not awful I guess. There’s only a handful of ports that I know of that use gcc4x’s java features.