dvdrip confusion

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 21:03:36 PDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM, bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> wrote:

>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-exec
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-master
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-multitee
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-progress
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-replex
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-splash
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-splitpipe
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-subpng
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/dvdrip-thumb
>   /opt/local/libexec/perl5.12/sitebin/execflow

These are the programs you expect. They're not in /opt/local/bin because
you could also install dvdrip in perl5.14 and perl5.16 and probably some
other Perl versions... which one wins? What happens if they install
something different in a different Perl version? It's the price we pay for
supporting more than one concurrently installed version of Perl.

Yes, we have port select, but it rapidly becomes unwieldy when applied to
dependents of Perl. Instead you can add something to $PATH --- your choice
which one comes first, not MacPorts', which is why MacPorts doesn't do it
for you --- or symlink them somewhere on $PATH, as you prefer.

This is pretty much the difference between Linux package managers and
MacPorts: the Linux package managers force you to accept whatever they
provide, and you must go outside them if it's not sufficient (with Perl on
Linux you will see a lot of usage of perlbrew to build custom local Perl
versions and local::lib for custom local modules to get around the
limitations of package managers; likewise you see a lot of virtualenv for
Python and rvm for Ruby). With MacPorts you have the ability to choose what
you need instead of being forced to use the limited selection that is
provided... but that means sometimes you *must* choose, and then do
something to activate that choice (port select, adding stuff to $PATH,
etc.).