dvdrip confusion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 28 03:46:45 PDT 2013

On Oct 27, 2013, at 13:54, bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm old and slow to learn but I thought that when you install something with Macports it sets it up for you.  It is what I like about the project and why I try to help a bit when I come across a problem.  All other apps seem to update the path or other links if necessary.  So I thought this might be a bug.

Ports never modify your PATH, and we don’t want them to start doing so now. There’s no code in MacPorts base or in any ports that I’m aware of that modifies your PATH or anything else in your shell startup file.

The only time MacPorts modifies your shell startup file is when you install MacPorts itself using the installer package: it adds /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin to the beginning of the PATH if the PATH does not already contain them. This code is in the installer package postflight script:

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight#L241