Upgraded to Mavericks and now I can't update MacPorts

Patrick Burton burtonpatrick0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 14:23:03 PDT 2013

Hello,

I updated to Mavericks and also updated Xcode but I can’t seem to be able to update macports. I get the following error:

$ port -v selfupdate
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
receiving file list ... done

sent 36 bytes  received 69 bytes  70.00 bytes/sec
total size is 4925440  speedup is 46908.95
receiving file list ... done

sent 36 bytes  received 76 bytes  74.67 bytes/sec
total size is 512  speedup is 4.57
Error: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp": permission denied
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp": permission denied

Any ideas?

-Patrick