libgcc 4.8.1 errors on a fresh install macports for Mavericks (OS X 10.9)

William Capehart wjcapehart at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 09:42:24 PDT 2013

I just restored my /opt/local from my early October Time Machine image,
reinstalled Xcode 5.0.1 and command lines tools from the Apple Developer
site, did the license step and self updated yet another brand-new fresh
install of Macports¹s Mavericks dmg  and went through all of the migration
steps advised here, and the exact same libgcc error I got was below.

Also tried Zhong Ren¹s approach and installed py27-scipy.  Once again at
libgcc install, it is still dropping me out of the build with the "typedef
enum pointer_t pointer_t² conflict.

I do not know if Zhong Ren¹s install built the dependencies  libgcc or gcc48
from scratch before building py27-scipy.

Unless there are other ideas, I am on the ropes with this at this point.

Bill Capehart