How to get binaries if they are available

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Sep 7 01:58:00 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-07 10:16, Barrie Stott wrote:
> I did an upgrade recently and a binary was installed. In the console log were a couple of lines:
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch bash-completion-2.1_5.darwin_10.noarch.tbz2 from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/bash-completion
> --->  Attempting to fetch bash-completion-2.1_5.darwin_10.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/bash-completion
>
> As I understand it, the second one is the binary because of the rmd160 part but it seems to be trying to get a non-binary first and only trying to get a binary when that fails.

Actually the first one is the binary package, the second is the detached
signature file using the RIPEMD-160 algorithm. That is required to
ensure this file was actually built by a of our buildbots. The detached
signature file is only fetched if the download of a binary was successful.

> Is this because only one of binary/non-binary ever exists at a packages site?
> If not, how can I get a source package only when there is no binary?

MacPorts will automatically build from source if no binary archive is
available.

Rainer