Refresher on gcc port and the executables

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 8 02:41:09 PDT 2013

As I wrote in May:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> If you don't trust the compilers provided by Apple in Xcode, then you can't trust any compiler built by MacPorts, since MacPorts will build its compilers using a compiler from Xcode.

If you posit that Apple's compilers are tainted, then you must assume anything they produce is tainted as well.

Most any other compiler you find compiled for OS X will have been compiled using an Apple compiler. How else would it be done?

It's a rather chicken and egg problem. You can't compile unless you already have a compiler, so how do you compile the first compiler? Some solutions are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping%5F%28compilers%29#The_chicken_and_egg_problem