How would I know to use "sudo port load/unload mysql55-server"?

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Fri Sep 20 10:26:18 PDT 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> Ah, that's why I never saw it then: it's not accessible through notes.
>
> On Sep 20, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
>> Yes, and MacPorts prints a message to that effect whenever a StartupItem is created, independent of the port's notes.

I'm clearly missing something. Here's my output when installing mysql55-server. I see no message about a startup item. It seems like such a message should appear when installing the port and during port notes.

$ sudo port install mysql55-server
--->  Computing dependencies for mysql55-server
--->  Fetching archive for mysql55-server
--->  Attempting to fetch mysql55-server-5.5.33_0.darwin_12.noarch.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/mysql55-server
--->  Attempting to fetch mysql55-server-5.5.33_0.darwin_12.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/mysql55-server
--->  Installing mysql55-server @5.5.33_0
--->  Activating mysql55-server @5.5.33_0

If this is a new install you might want to run:

$ sudo -u _mysql /opt/local/lib/mysql55/bin/mysql_install_db

--->  Cleaning mysql55-server
--->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.

Cheers!
Frank