build failure dbus 1.8 on OS X 10.6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 3 15:33:17 PDT 2014

On Apr 3, 2014, at 16:57, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> I was doing an upgrade after a selfupdate on my 10.6.8 system, and stumbled across a dbus build failure due to line 262 in bus/dir-watch-kqueue.c , where O_CLOEXEC is passed to open(). Indeed I cannot find this flag in my header files (except iOS headers ...)
>
> What are the options here? I'm a bit amazed that this flag wasn't passed in earlier dbus versions, as it's been around since Linux kernel 2.6.23 …

IIRC, O_CLOEXEC was added to OS X in 10.7. Please report the problem to the developers of dbus so that they can provide a workaround for earlier systems that don’t have it. I recently had to do that for glib2 as well and they were quick to add that support.

> Also, I get a warning
>
>> Warning: You have requested an obsolete variant
>> Warning: Installation of startup items are now determined by /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
>> Warning: See https://guide.macports.org/#reference.startupitems
>
> The startupitems variable in my macports.conf is left to the default, and the installed variant (which is almost certainly an automatically installed variant) is dbus at 1.6.12_0+no_root+startupitem+universal . I checked, all those variants are still existent, so what does the warning above mean?

In r118513 (committed today) the startupitem and no_startupitem variants were retired in favor of basing the installation of the startupitem on your macports.conf settings. The error message you saw is telling you that you requested this obsolete variant, and is explaining to you how the port will decide whether to install a startupitem from now on. Reinstall the port without the obsolete variants.