Can MacPorts be used without full Xcode without any issues?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 8 04:57:22 PDT 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 05:06, Amarendra Kumar wrote:

> The install instruction still starts with:
>
> "Install Xcode and the Xcode Command Line Tools"
>
> But I cannot afford to put aside 5+GB on my 120GB machine that I shall never use. So, is there any way or any beta MacPorts that doesn't require "full Xcode" as a must?
>
> Or is there a work around?
>
> PS. As of now I am using Homebrew but I am facing a lot of conflicts and number of packages there is considerably lower than that at MacPorts.

You can try installing only the command line tools, but MacPorts will probably issue a complaint about missing Xcode with every port you build, and of course any ports you want to install that actually require Xcode will obviously fail.

As of now, our requirements are as stated: Install Xcode, and the Xcode command line tools, and things should work fine.