Can MacPorts be used without full Xcode without any issues?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Apr 8 05:55:10 PDT 2014

Hi,

> > Yes, I have CMD Line Tools installed but any port I tried to install I got
> > an error and none of them worked. I didn't face this issue with Homebrew
> > though so I thought I'll ask here as I might be doing sth wrong.
>
> My understanding is that Homebrew supports the use of the command line tools
> without Xcode. MacPorts at this time does not.

There are a few people I know of that use MacPorts without Xcode and just with
the Command Line Tools installed. I'd have to see the log for your failed
builds to tell why they failed for you and if they fail because of missing
Xcode.

> > Also, can I use MacPorts even if Homebrew is installed? Homebrew throws
> > error and advises and advises me to remove MacPorts.
>
> No, please choose one package manager only, and uninstall any others. They
> interfere with one another.

The problem here is that MacPorts cannot avoid headers and libraries installed
in /usr/local/{include,lib} and those may break builds in MacPorts. MacPorts
2.3 will contain "trace mode", which is a general shot at solving this problem
by building everything in a poor man's sandbox hiding /usr/local, and that
should make it a lot easier for MacPorts to work in presence of homebrew. That
doesn't necessarily work the other way round, but it's much easier for homebrew
to ignore stuff installed by MacPorts than vice-versa.

--
Clemens Lang