Incorrect $PATH value for root user

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:03:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 10/04/14 15:48, Помазёнков Виталий wrote:
>
>> Yes, but MacPorts can control this. Instead of specifying "export
>> PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH" in ~/.bash_profile it can
>> (and should) specify it system-wide in /etc/bashrc - in this way there
>> will be no problem with programs which is also installed by Apple like
>> svn - all programs will be the same version (installed by MacPorts).
>>

> I for one, (and I am sure others too) do not want MacPorts editing system
> files like /etc/bashrc itself. If you want this, by all means do it
> yourself, but it should remain an action you have to manually have to do,
> if you want it.

Strong agreement; this is part of what I meant by it being Apple's. For one
thing, I don't think Apple promises that /etc/bashrc won't be replaced by
an OS upgrade. (Also, seriously don't place path settings in .bashrc /
bashrc, it belongs in .profile / .bash_profile / /etc/profile and things
like rvm / virtualenv / perlbrew etc. will "randomly" lose their settings
if you do it in the per-shell file as it overwrites their changes.)