MacPorts Self-Update Failure?

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 10 16:31:46 PDT 2014

I haven’t used any MacPorts software since moving to Mavericks.  I have been updating Xcode consistently but not MacPorts.  I attempted a self update today but it basically “hung” at the following point.

spielplatz:Finances mcc$ sudo port selfupdate
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 2.2.1 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.2.1 downloaded.
--->  Updating the ports tree

Using tcpdump, I discovered no network traffic indicating that the ports tree was being updated.  Do I need to use the MacPorts pkg to update the ports tree?

I recall doing this once before but ran into a problem with older applications that were installed before using the pkg update.  Will this be a problem?  And, if so, what is the best way to remove old installed ports?

--
Merton Campbell Crockett
e-mail:   m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
mobile:  1(805)377-6762