Portfile development questions

Julien T julien.t43 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:22:34 PDT 2014

Hi,

following a comment on trac, I put all my Portfile through "port lint
--nitpick" and fix many small glitches.
I was also aware of:
        # port -q contents $p | grep /bin/ | xargs otool -L
        # plutil -lint */$p/files/*.plist

Any other commands useful to validate Portfile, patch & co?
Maybe an additional paragraph in
https://guide.macports.org/#development.practices (there an entry for port
lint but no --nitpick, need to refer to man port)

Also, it would be useful to have an intermediate commit level where
inclusion means compilation on test infrastructure (
https://build.macports.org/) but not include in "normal" rsync.
It would allow more testing than the single machine many people probably
have for developping.

Another question, is there any wait for a launchd plist or macports
startupitem to specify dependency to run? for example, an application
depending on its database.

Any way to avoid that a new macports daemon user regularly starts
distnoted/launchd/cfprefsd/mdworker? Apple daemon users seem to not have
this problem and it's loading a box for nothing.

Thanks a lot.
Cheers,

Julien