ssh/sshd question

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Fri Aug 1 17:31:41 PDT 2014

I have not been doing much work via ssh since upgrading to 10.9 (Mavericks), so while this occurrence is new to me, it may be related to the update.

I'm working between an iMac and a Mac Mini - both are running 10.9.4 and OSX Server 3.1.2

What I am encountering is -- if I have multiple windows open (any kind including multiple terminal windows)
and leave a terminal window which I have used to ssh from the iMac to the mini,
for some indeterminate amount of time, I find that the SSH connection has "hung."

If I hit return a couple of times, after another brief period of time I get "broken pipe."

I assume that some sort of "inactivity" timer is in operation, but I cannot find it.

The "config file" which the man page claims to exist /etc/ssh/sshd_config does not exist on either system.

I do have a number of ssh files  in /etc which are dated pre Mavericks, and none of them have any obvious time-out parameters.

The question becomes -- Is this time out a parameter issue or a bug?

If a parmeter issue, which/where?

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.9.4
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.9.5 OSX Server 3.1.2

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com