Possible error in the dependency list of "kde4-kile"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 4 02:43:10 PDT 2014

On Jul 23, 2014, at 8:30 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Wednesday July 23 2014 07:57:24 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> The server that converts the portindex into the database format that the web site uses runs Linux. So the web site will show ports as they would appear on a Linux machine. The kde4-kile port uses the kde4 1.1 portgroup which uses the qt4 1.0 portgroup which adds the dependency qt4-mac on OS X and the dependency qt4-x11 on other operating systems.
>
> MacPorts exists on Linux??

MacPorts the software is designed to be used on OS X, but is portable and can also be compiled on Linux. The "platforms" keyword can be used by ports to indicate what platforms they will work with, but the keyword is an advisory to the user only; MacPorts base does not check its value at any time. The vast majority of ports have probably never been tested on any platform other than OS X, and even those ports that indicate compatibility with other OSes may have had that indication added years ago and may no longer actually be compatible, so trying to use MacPorts to actually install software on something other than OS X is probably an exercise in futility, but we do have MacPorts base installed and running on some of our servers.

MacPorts the project is hosted by Mac OS Forge, an organization set up by Apple Inc to host open source projects of special value to the OS X platform. Mac OS Forge runs our servers, most of which run Linux, including, as far as I know, all of the web servers, database servers, mail servers. There are four build slaves running four different versions of OS X. A fifth build slave running Linux was recently set up so that we will become more quickly aware of any non-portable changes made to base.

>> It would be nice if the database were populated by a machine running OS X so that this discrepancy would not exist, but some years ago our hosts Mac OS Forge decided to change as many servers as possible to Linux, so that's where we are at the moment.
>
> In any case, I presume it's not impossible to let kile depend on qt4-X11, at least if it still builds against the latest KDE version (4.8?) that builds against Qt 4.4.3 ...

Last I checked, the qt4-x11 port did not build at all, and I recommended its removal from the ports tree, since at the time nobody seemed (and even now nobody seems) interested in updating it to a current version of Qt.

https://trac.macports.org/query?status=!closed&summary=~qt4-x11