Trouble with selfupdate command

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:10:42 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Jeffry Killen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:

> It requires activating the 'root' user account so the Apache
> configuration file can be edited to allow Apache to load the
> module. I have done all that and can use the local server as

??? sudo should work fine for that, and certainly worked in 10.5.

Error: User jekillen does not own /opt/local - try using sudo
> Please run `port -v selfupdate' for details.
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: User jekillen does not
> own /opt/local - try using sudo
>
> So,
> Any one know what I am talking about and has some useful advice?

You appear to have a mis-installed MacPorts.

MacPorts avoids doing most things as root; instead it switches to a
dedicated macports account for many things, reserving root for only those
things that need it. But in your case, it is trying to use your account as
the non-root account --- and this account does not have access to MacPorts
internals that are expected to be owned by the dedicated account.

Take a look at /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf. One of the entries
should be "macportsuser"; by default it is commented out and the associated
value is the default non-privileged user ("macports"). Is it uncommented in
yours? Is the user "jekillen"? Perhaps most importantly, did you change
this entry at some point? (It should normally not be changed unless you
e.g. need multiple MacPorts installations.)