Trouble with selfupdate command

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 14 09:57:29 PDT 2014

On Aug 13, 2014, at 8:03 PM, Jeffry Killen wrote:

> It requires activating the 'root' user account so the Apache
> configuration file can be edited to allow Apache to load the
> module. I have done all that and can use the local server as
> a stand alone development environment.

It certainly does not require that. You can and should use "sudo" to edit files you don't otherwise have access to. Very little (nothing I can think of) requires enabling the root account, and doing so opens a security vulnerability so you should not enable it.

> I installed a version of MacPorts on this machine which require
> interactive use from a terminal window in which I can use the
> root user account password.

You should not run MacPorts from the root account; there have been some unusual problems with that experienced by other users in the past. You should run MacPorts from your normal administrator account with "sudo".