Automating your MacPorts upgrades

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Sat Aug 16 13:58:38 PDT 2014

On Aug 16, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2014, at 3:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 16, 2014, at 2:53 PM, Mark Brethen wrote:
>>>
>>> Is automating your macports upgrades recommended? I checked the howtos and faq, but didn't find instructions. What is the method to set this up?
>>
>> I don't believe we have anything written up about that. For myself, I like to be in control of what is updated and when.
>>

> One suggestion I found is to create the script '/etc/daily.local' (could also be weekly or monthly) that runs selfupdate followed by upgrade outdated and sends the output to a log file. I haven't tried it and don't know what issues you might run into.
>
> Mark

On one of my machines I run such a script via launchd:

echo "Start $(date)"
/opt/local/bin/port sync
/opt/local/bin/port upgrade outdated
echo "Finish $(date)"

launchd pipes the output to log files so I can inspect the nightly runs from the Console.

However, I still do port selfupdate manually…

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula