symlinked /opt/local

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:28:06 PDT 2014

I know opinions differ on the use of a symlink as/in /opt/local to trick MacPorts into installing in a custom location. I'm in the camp that considers that such a symlink ought to be transparent, to the extent possible given that OS X will do link resolution before storing dependencies ("rpaths") in applications and dylibs.

Question: is there a difference between making /opt/local a symlink to the real destination, or making /opt the symlink and local a proper directory inside the destination?

R.