Undo universal?

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. dersh at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:12:52 PDT 2014

On Aug 19, 2014, at 3:05 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>> On Aug 19, 2014, at 9:36 AM, Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I had OpenSceneGraph installed, but, for another application I was testing, I needed a universal version.  So, I did
>> sudo port install OpenSceneGraph +universal
>> It then proceeded to upgrade MANY things to universal.  I hadn’t realized how many dependencies there were.
>> My question is, is there a way to undo that?  If I am done with that testing, so I no longer need the universal version of OpenScenegraph (and then the many dependencies).  If I just do:
>> sudo port deactivate OpenSceneGraph +universal
>> sudo port activate OpenSceneGraph
>> sudo port uninstall OpenSceneGraph +universal
>> I believe that it would remove that one thing.  But, it won’t then follow all the dependencies.
>
> That is correct.
>
>> Is there any way to make all the dependencies that would no longer have to be universal be removed and just have the original versions made active?
>>
>> Essentially I am looking for a command:
>> 	Make OpenSceneGraph and all dependents no longer universal
>
> There's not an automatic way to do that, no. If you still have the non-universal versions installed, you can just reactivate them. Otherwise you will have to reinstall them.
>
> It might be neat to have a script to automate this. It could notice if you have any universal ports installed that aren't required to be universal and offer to reinstall them non-universal.
> --

I do have them.  But, it would be great to be able to use a script, as you suggested.  Right now, I think the only way is make a note of everything that go switched to universal, by looking at the console output, and manually activating the other version.  I guess it is just something else for the wish list.