libgcc update ... to 4.9?

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:56:25 PDT 2014

On Aug 22, 2014, at 22:59, Clemens Lang wrote:

> binary archives. In fact, since it picked up an unfinished build and
> continued it, this may well be the reason for not using binaries.

Yes, I should have looked more closely at that log before uploading it. I surely must have relaunched the upgrade procedure without cleaning libgcc/gcc49 properly.
Sure, that unfinished build would explain why that 2nd attempt didn't try to download a binary package, but why was a build from source launched at the 1st attempt?

>> Surely, but how many such build systems does MacPorts carry?.
>
> Hundreds of them. Even thousands.

Where the build system writes files outside of the /opt/local/var/build? Could you give an example of a really bad one?

> Correct, pretty much all ports currently use root privileges during
> installation, because the change file owners and modes. That could only
> prevented by using something like fakeroot, which would have to be ported to
> OS X first.

To my knowledge, fakeroot does its name justice, and does not allow one to get real root privileges...

> Did you mean "/opt/local" here, not "/usr/local"? And other than that, again,

No, I also have a /usr/local .

> make install DESTDIR=$destroot with root privileges. And again, looking at
> your requirements makes me think you should really use a non-root installation
> of MacPorts.

No, I don't think so. I do have things in MacPorts that require root privileges, so I decided that putting a sudo in front of `port selfupdate` and `port install/uninstall` isn't that cumbersome.