Port Selfupdate failed - Mountain Lion OS X

vignesh babu jvigneshbabu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:03:06 PDT 2014

Hi,

I installed macports and ran it on my Mountain Lion OS X. But the self
update threw the below error. I thought it could be rsync blocked by
firewall and ran the rsync on the terminal. Rsync worked fine but still
self update wouldn't. Could you please look into the debug & let me know
what I could be doing wrong. I'm running macports 2.3.1. All the
directories mentioned in the debug exist and the base.tar & ports.tar was
downloaded properly when I ran the rsync directly on the terminal.

DEBUG: Copying /Users/apple/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to
/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
DEBUG: MacPorts sources location: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
sh: error: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://
rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs: No
such file or directory
sh: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://
rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
Exit code: 1
DEBUG: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: command execution failed
    while executing
"macports::selfupdate [array get global_options] base_updated"
Error: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: command execution failed
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error synchronizing
MacPorts sources: command execution failed

Regards
Vignesh