pdfTeX in texlive missing pdftex.fmt

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:15:02 PDT 2014

I'm trying to use pdfTeX from texlive, which I've used extensively
before and never had problems.  Now, for some reason, it's missing
pdftex.fmt.

I get the following errors:

---------------------------  CUT HERE  ---------------------------
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/MacPorts
2013_5)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

 kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdftex.fmt
 I can't find the format file `pdftex.fmt'!
---------------------------  CUT HERE  ---------------------------

I couldn't find it, either.  I even re-installed tex-live to just
start clean...it's still not found, so I'm assuming it got moved
to a new location that I'm not pointing to for TeX macros, etc.,
but where did it get moved to?

Oh, and just for future reference, how do I limit the languages
installed with texlive to English?  I have no use for the others,
so waiting for them to be installed, only to be deleted later,
is just a waste of time....

Thanks,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | DMR: So fsck was originally called