Port Selfupdate failed - Mountain Lion OS X

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 29 05:02:25 PDT 2014

On Aug 29, 2014, at 5:32 AM, vignesh babu wrote:

> drwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel      136 Aug 29 11:20 opt
>  |- drwxr-xr-x  11 root  admin   374 Aug 29 11:21 local
>
> It doesn't look like a symlink.. highlighted is the only difference as I go down the path. Only the opt folder belongs to wheel group & everything down the path is admin. I don't know how this wheel group got created.

"wheel" is a standard group found on UNIX operating systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_(Unix_term)

On my system it's reversed:

$ ls -ld /opt{,/local}
drwxr-xr-x@  4 root  admin  136 Apr 25 03:28 /opt
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel  680 Aug 13 05:57 /opt/local

However I would not think this difference would matter. I'm afraid I'm at a loss for why your system claims that files and directories that exist don't exist. There is something unusual about your computer, but I cannot figure out what it is.