Port Selfupdate failed - Mountain Lion OS X

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 30 13:06:34 PDT 2014

On Aug 30, 2014, at 3:00 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>    % sh -c 'echo -n $IFS | hexdump'

Actually you would need to run:

sh -c '/bin/echo -n "$IFS" | hexdump'

/bin/echo is necessary to get support for -n, and enclosing the variable in quotes is necessary so the shell doesn't mangle it before it gets to echo.

Still, I was going to be surprised if a shell IFS variable was being passed through MacPorts unchallenged. We do after all sanitize the user's environment. So unless the user deliberately added IFS to extra_env in macports.conf, it shouldn't affect MacPorts.