Port Selfupdate failed - Mountain Lion OS X

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 16:36:07 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Gregory Shenaut <gkshenaut at ucdavis.edu>
wrote:

> If you have a file, call it X, containing the following:
>
> '/bin/echo -n "$IFS" | hexdump'
> cc
>

> and you then run the command « sh < X », you get:

This is not the test they were asked to perform, and is not relevant.

sh: line 1: /bin/echo -n "$IFS" | hexdump: No such file or directory
> clang: error: no input files
>

> on my 10.9.4 system (which is having no problems I am aware of). This is
> quite similar to the error message being discussed.

You may consider it "quite similar" but there are significant differences.

> Furthermore, the command « cmp -b /bin/sh /bin/bash » produces

Yes, I determined they were actually different later (in private
correspondence). They are however related --- and "sh --version" will not
get you the version message that vignesh got.