Advertising KDE4 on OSX/MacPorts ( was Re: MacPorts usage statistics )

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Tue Dec 9 00:07:08 PST 2014

Hi James,

On 09 Dec 2014, at 01:49 , James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>> That calls for a bit of lobbying -- or maybe a survey how many MacPorts users were aware of the port's existence.
>
> If one uses say a KDE Desktop how does that affect native aqua applications (any apps that don’t use X11/Quartz)

on OSX/MacPorts you would NOT run a real KDE desktop, but rather get all KDE4 applications running
natively on your Mac _without_ X11/Quartz, i.e. by using Aqua!

We’re trying to keep the user experience as close as possible to a Linux-based KDE desktop installation,
see e.g. René’s port kde4-workspace [1]. It allows to run the KDE “System Settings” utility which can
configure KDE for instance regarding the standard theme used by all KDE applications.

This is an important point, since the default “Macintosh (aqua)” theme results in weird layout errors [2]
and it is recommended on OSX to use the qtcurve theme instead [3].

Check out our list of current KDE problems on the MacPorts wiki [4] and perhaps join the KDE-MAC mailing
list [5] if you need support. Having said that, you can always post any KDE4-related question also here
on MacPorts-Users, as the KDE-MAC folks are all MacPorts guys anyways. :)

It could be, that [5] isn’t very up to date these days, as all KDE-MAC contributors are very actively
working on a variety of issues currently. There’s more stuff on KDE’s Review Board [6] and on KDE’s bug
tracker [7].

Last but not least, check out our initial wiki page at [8] if you want to know what’s up next!

Join us! :-)

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/kde/kde4-workspace/Portfile