Can I use MacPorts to install Octave 3.6.4?

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Wed Dec 10 08:31:37 PST 2014

Ray,

On Dec 10, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Ray Zimmerman <rz10 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Ok, I’m a MacPorts newbie here, but it turns out I haven’t even been able to get the current version of Octave to build yet. This is a clean install of the latest MacPorts on OS X 10.10.1 with Xcode 6.1.1.
>
> I first attempted …
>
>    sudo port install octave
>
> … which resulted in …
>
>         Error: org.macports.configure for port atlas returned: Atlas could not detect any fortran compiler. If you really don’t need the fortran interface to be built, please use the +nofortran option, else install a fortran compiler (e.g. gcc4X) before building Atlas.
>         Error: Failed to install atlas
>         Please see the log file for port atlas for details:
>             /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_math_atlas/atlas/main.log
>
> So I went back and did …
>
>    sudo port clean octave
>    sudo port clean atlas
>    sudo port install octave +nofortran
>
> This time it failed to build qrupdate.
>
> --->  Fetching archive for qrupdate
> --->  Attempting to fetch qrupdate-1.1.2_3+atlas+gcc48.darwin_14.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/qrupdate
> --->  Attempting to fetch qrupdate-1.1.2_3+atlas+gcc48.darwin_14.x86_64.tbz2 from http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/qrupdate
> --->  Attempting to fetch qrupdate-1.1.2_3+atlas+gcc48.darwin_14.x86_64.tbz2 from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/qrupdate
> --->  Fetching distfiles for qrupdate
> --->  Attempting to fetch qrupdate-1.1.2.tar.gz from http://superb-dca2.dl.sourceforge.net/project/qrupdate/qrupdate/1.2
> --->  Verifying checksums for qrupdate
> --->  Extracting qrupdate
> --->  Applying patches to qrupdate
> --->  Configuring qrupdate
> --->  Building qrupdate
> Error: org.macports.build for port qrupdate returned: command execution failed
> Error: Failed to install qrupdate
> Please see the log file for port qrupdate for details:
>     /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_math_qrupdate/qrupdate/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: qrupdate texinfo transfig netpbm
>
> The relevant part of log file (by my guess) says …
>
> :info:build libtool -o ../libqrupdate.a caxcpy.o cch1dn.o cch1up.o cchdex.o cchinx.o cchshx.o cgqvec.o cqhqr.o cqr1up.o cqrdec.o cqrder.o cqrinc.o cqrinr.o cqrot.o cqrqh.o cqrshc.o cqrtv1.o dch1dn.o dch1up.o dchdex.o dchinx.o dchshx.o dgqvec.o dqhqr.o dqr1up.o dqrdec.o dqrder.o dqrinc.o dqrinr.o dqrot.o dqrqh.o dqrshc.o dqrtv1.o sch1dn.o sch1up.o schdex.o schinx.o schshx.o sgqvec.o sqhqr.o sqr1up.o sqrdec.o sqrder.o sqrinc.o sqrinr.o sqrot.o sqrqh.o sqrshc.o sqrtv1.o zaxcpy.o zch1dn.o zch1up.o zchdex.o zchinx.o zchshx.o zgqvec.o zqhqr.o zqr1up.o zqrdec.o zqrder.o zqrinc.o zqrinr.o zqrot.o zqrqh.o zqrshc.o zqrtv1.o clu1up.o dlu1up.o slu1up.o zlu1up.o clup1up.o dlup1up.o slup1up.o zlup1up.o
> [...]

You will need fortran to build octave. The default variant is to use gcc 4.8, but this does not automatically build/install gcc 4.8.

So I build octave with two commands:

sudo port install atlas +gcc48

which should install MacPorts gcc 4.8 before installing atlas, and then

sudo port install octave +atlas +gcc48

I normally also add the +gui and +SuiteSparse variants.

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula