Can I use MacPorts to install Octave 3.6.4?

Ray Zimmerman rz10 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 11 12:13:53 PST 2014

> On Dec 10, 2014, at 8:12 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Dec 10, 2014, at 3:39 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 10, 2014, at 2:03 PM, Ray Zimmerman <rz10 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> :info:build dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libedit.0.dylib
>>> :info:build   Referenced from: /opt/local/libexec/llvm-3.5/lib/libLTO.dylib
>>> :info:build   Reason: image not found
>>> :info:build make[3]: *** [libgcc_s.dylib] Error 1
>>
>> Sorry, this is #46040, which I'll be pushing a fix for in a couple of hours.
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46040
>
> I've pushed the fix (https://trac.macports.org/changeset/129359). Please run a selfupdate and upgrade your installed ports before cleaning libgcc and trying gcc49 again.
>
> vq

Thanks, that fixed the issues I was having so far. I was finally able to build the current Octave (3.8.2) successfully on a clean MacPorts install, with the following two commands:

sudo port install gcc49
sudo port install octave

… though the latter did end up installing gcc48 too!

Now back to my original goal, getting multiple versions of octave installed … if I now do the following to build version 3.6.4 of Octave …

svn co -r 121949 http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/math/octave
cd octave
sudo port install1

… will it overwrite the version 3.8.2 I currently have installed? If so, how can I avoid that and have it install as octave-3.6.4 or something?

Thanks again,

    Ray