MacPorts clang performance (and arm_runtime)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 20 12:31:02 PST 2014

On Dec 20, 2014, at 12:17 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

>> port variants llvm-3.6
>>
>> llvm-3.6 has the variants:
>> [+]assertions: Enable assertions for error detection (has performance
>> impacts, especially on JIT)
>
> So the default variant, and the only one available as a binary package, is built to be slow and crash upon certain errors.
> Why is that the default?

Presumably because llvm-3.6 is a development version, and if problems are encountered, the port maintainer would like to receive the most helpful bug report possible. In past llvm versions, the maintainer has removed this as a default variant once the port reaches stable status.

> Would it be possible at least to provide the version without assertions in binary too?

No, because the buildbot only builds default variants.

> Same with +arm_runtime, btw. I don't know how useful a MacPorts compiler is for building for arm (iOS development I presume), and how many people do that, but it'd be nice to have a binary version without. I can remember having had issues with the presence of an arm runtime in the past.

I'm not aware of any issues caused by having that variant selected. If it's causing you problems, file a ticket and explain.