MAMP issue -- Mysql 56

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Fri Dec 26 03:27:30 PST 2014

I know next to nothing about the installation of MySQL, so I need some serious direction here.

In installing MySQL 56 via MacPorts, I find that the instructions imbedded directly in the port file differ materially from those on the MAMP page written for MySQL 51.
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP

Once the install completes, the next instruction on the MAMP page states:

# sudo -u _mysql mysql_install_db5

That is easily fixed by running the install program as installed by the port: mysql_install_db

At the end of that execution, the following information is printed:

==========<cut here>================
To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:

  /opt/local/lib/mysql56/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
  /opt/local/lib/mysql56/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h shianbrae.mcgillsociety.org password 'new-password'

Alternatively you can run:

  /opt/local/lib/mysql56/bin/mysql_secure_installation

which will also give you the option of removing the test
databases and anonymous user created by default.  This is
strongly recommended for production servers.

See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:

  cd /opt/local ; /opt/local/lib/mysql56/bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with mysql-test-run.pl

  cd mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl

Please report any problems at http://bugs.mysql.com/

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at

  http://www.mysql.com

Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://shop.mysql.com

WARNING: Could not copy config file template /opt/local/share/mysql56/support-files/my-default.cnf to
/opt/local/etc/mysql56/my-new.cnf, may not have access rights to do so.
You may want to copy the file manually, or create your own,
it will then be used by default by the server when you start it.
==========<cut here>================

1- the files referenced in the first instruction above are not identified -- neither their source location nor their destination.
One guesses that the source files is: /opt/local/share/mysql56/support-files/mysql.server
However, that file appears to be a generic start file -- which only needs modification if one does NOT use /opt/local.
But there is no indication of WHERE the "right place" is for a MacPorts installation.
If nothing needs to be done, a statement to that effect needs to be in MAMP

2- it appears that instructions to change the ownership/write permissions of /opt/local/etc/mysql56/ need to be included
for the "my-new.cnf" file or instructions to replace the "my.cnf" file included.
However, the chown instructions on the MAMP page appear to no longer be necessary.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.1
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.1 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com