Issue upgrading from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 - Error: llvm-3.1 is not supported on Mavericks or later.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 8 13:24:07 PST 2014

On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:43, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:

> The error is pretty self explanatory.
>
> My question is -- did I do something wrong or is this "just" a Perl5 issue?
>

> outpost> sudo port selfupdate
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> MacPorts base version 2.2.0 installed,
> MacPorts base version 2.2.1 downloaded.
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.2.1
> Installing new MacPorts release in /opt/local as root:admin; permissions 0755; Tcl-Package in /Library/Tcl
>

> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>  port upgrade outdated
> [/Users/magill] magill
> outpost> sudo port upgrade outdated
> . . . Fine until:
>
> --->  Cleaning perl5
> --->  Fetching archive for llvm_select
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm_select-0.2_0.darwin_13.noarch.tbz2 from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/llvm_select
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm_select-0.2_0.darwin_13.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/llvm_select
> --->  Unable to uninstall llvm_select @0.2_0, the following ports depend on it:
> --->  	llvm-3.1 @3.1_7
> Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
> --->  Deactivating llvm_select @0.2_0
> --->  Unable to deactivate llvm_select @0.2_0, the following ports depend on it:
> --->  	llvm-3.1 @3.1_7
> Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
> --->  Cleaning llvm_select
> --->  Uninstalling llvm_select @0.2_0
> --->  Cleaning llvm_select
> --->  Installing llvm_select @0.2_0
> --->  Activating llvm_select @0.2_0
> --->  Cleaning llvm_select
> --->  Fetching archive for llvm-3.1
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm-3.1-3.1_7.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2 from http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/llvm-3.1
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm-3.1-3.1_7.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/llvm-3.1
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm-3.1-3.1_7.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2 from http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/llvm-3.1
> --->  Computing dependencies for llvm-3.1
> --->  Fetching distfiles for llvm-3.1
> Error: llvm-3.1 is not supported on Mavericks or later.

It has nothing to do with perl. llvm-3.1 is not supported on Mavericks or later. Install a newer version of llvm if you want it, otherwise uninstall it. If you have other ports installed that depend on llvm-3.1, see if they have other variants that would let them use newer versions of llvm instead.

On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:55, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2014, at 1:47 PM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:
>
>> How did you get llvm-3.1 installed to begin with? Sounds like you upgraded your OS.
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> Back when Mavericks came out back in ?the fall?
>
> I thought I  had gone through the migration process after the hassle to get the Xcode tools installed.
>
> Wasn't 2.0 the Mavericks update?
>
> Guess it's time to completely uninstall and start over.

MacPorts 2.2.1 is the first version for which we released a pre-compiled binary for Mavericks. MacPorts 2.2.0 was current at the time Mavericks was released and should have worked if you compiled it from source on Mavericks.

You can use

port -v installed

to see if you still have any ports installed that were originally built on an earlier version of OS X: anything built on Mavericks will be identified with “platform=‘darwin 13’”. If you do still have ports built on an earlier OS X version you can try to rebuild them using “sudo port upgrade” as you’re doing, but sometimes you can run into errors because of undeclared dependencies and it can be easier to uninstall and reinstall the ports instead.