Where should non-macports sw be installed? (Was: Problem with Macports, homebrew, and ghostscript)

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Feb 12 16:46:24 PST 2014

--On February 13, 2014 1:24:57 AM +0100 Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org>
wrote:

> If those binary installers did install headers in /usr/local/include
> and libraries in /usr/local/lib that has been pure luck. As soon as
> you install a port that has an optional dependency not installed via
> MacPorts but present in /usr/local you'll run into problems sooner or
> later.

So let's be a little more specific.  You are saying that it's
/usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib that are the problem, not
/usr/local/bin, right?  Otherwise you're saying that, for example,
MacPorts is incompatible with BBEdit (which puts symlinks in
/usr/local/bin).  Very few "ordinary" installers install into
/usr/local/include or /usr/local/lib, but a number install to
/usr/local/bin.  I don't see that as a major problem.

            Mike