Where should non-macports sw be installed? (Was: Problem with Macports, homebrew, and ghostscript)

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Feb 13 06:26:03 PST 2014

Hi,

> So let's be a little more specific.  You are saying that it's
> /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib that are the problem, not
> /usr/local/bin, right?  Otherwise you're saying that, for example,
> MacPorts is incompatible with BBEdit (which puts symlinks in
> /usr/local/bin).  Very few "ordinary" installers install into
> /usr/local/include or /usr/local/lib, but a number install to
> /usr/local/bin.  I don't see that as a major problem.

Unfortunately it isn't that simple to tell – there might be software compiled using MacPorts that executes tools without absolute paths at runtime which could, depending on the order of directories in your $PATH variable pick up an incompatible version of something from /usr/local. I agree this possibility *is* getting rather remote, though.

--
Clemens Lang