Where should non-macports sw be installed? (Was: Problem with Macports, homebrew, and ghostscript

Mark Anderson emer at emer.net
Fri Feb 14 08:46:56 PST 2014

I also install into /opt/<something> where <something> expands to something
descriptive of all the crap I am installing in there. Then I can turn PATHs
on and off depending. This is really important for playing with things like
the gtk+ cocoa that needs its whole space to itself. Just DONT use /opt or
/opt/local of course. I also set them to be owned by my user, so I don't
have to sudo to install. If I do, I know something is up.

Mark

--Mark
Mark E. Anderson <emer at emer.net>