Problem installing maven-devel

Robert S Brewer rbrewer at lava.net
Wed Feb 26 08:16:39 PST 2014

Hello all. I'm trying to install the latest Maven (which was cruelly taken
away by Mavericks) via MacPorts. It appears "maven-devel" is the best
option. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with selecting that port
after install:

$ sudo port install maven-devel
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for maven-devel
--->  Dependencies to be installed: maven_select
--->  Fetching archive for maven_select
--->  Attempting to fetch maven_select-0.3_1.darwin_13.noarch.tbz2 from
http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/maven_select
--->  Attempting to fetch maven_select-0.3_1.darwin_13.noarch.tbz2.rmd160
from http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/maven_select
--->  Installing maven_select @0.3_1
--->  Activating maven_select @0.3_1
--->  Cleaning maven_select
--->  Fetching archive for maven-devel
--->  Attempting to fetch maven-devel-3.1.1_0.darwin_13.noarch.tbz2 from
http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/maven-devel
--->  Attempting to fetch maven-devel-3.1.1_0.darwin_13.noarch.tbz2.rmd160
from http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/maven-devel
--->  Installing maven-devel @3.1.1_0
--->  Activating maven-devel @3.1.1_0

To make maven 3.1.1 the default, please run
sudo port select --set maven maven-devel

--->  Cleaning maven-devel
--->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.

$ sudo port select --set maven maven-devel
Selecting 'maven-devel' for 'maven' failed: The specified version
'maven-devel' is not valid.

$ port select --list maven
Available versions for maven:
maven3
none (active)

$ sudo port select --set maven maven3
Selecting 'maven3' for 'maven' failed: could not create new link
"/opt/local/bin/mvn": target "/opt/local/bin/mvn3" doesn't exist

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I would like to use Maven 3.1.1, so
I do not want to install the maven3 port (which appears to be pegged to
3.0.X for compatibility reasons I guess?). Thanks!

On a related note, figuring out which port to install to get the most
recent maven is somewhat opaque. It would be nice if there was some way to
document this kind of thing in MacPorts, rather than 15 minutes of
Googling, reading Portfiles and old mailing list threads.

--
Robert Brewer
Postdoc in the Ubiquitous Computing and Interaction Group