Distributions remaining

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. dersh at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 3 18:54:57 PST 2014

It seems that when I upgrade ports, whether I uninstall the old version or not, that the distribution files remain.  I have installed with the “-u” and have also just unstalled the inactive ports, after an upgrade.  Yet, I see all my old distribution files remaining in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/.
Is this expected behavior?  I don’t recall noticing this from prior to 10.9 and 2.2.1.
Is there a way to get rid of the distribution files for ports that are no longer the installed versions?  For example I tried to do a clean like this:
sudo port clean --dist inactive

But these remain:
ls /opt/local//var/macports/distfiles/sqlite3
sqlite-autoconf-3071600.tar.gz	sqlite-autoconf-3071602.tar.gz	sqlite-autoconf-3080000.tar.gz	sqlite-autoconf-3080100.tar.gz
sqlite-autoconf-3071601.tar.gz	sqlite-autoconf-3071700.tar.gz	sqlite-autoconf-3080002.tar.gz

I believe that the reason that the clean like that didn’t work is because I had removed my old versions of sqlite3, so they are not inactive.

port installed sqlite3
  sqlite3 @3.8.2_0+universal (active)

So, I would like to be able to clean the distributions for all things that are not installed, but leave the distributions for anything that I have either active or inactive.  Is there a way to do that?

--Adam