Can't set tmpdir in mysql

Darwin O'Connor doconno at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 20:28:17 PST 2014

I haven't been able to change the tmpdir for mysql. I've set it to
/opt/local/tmp in my.cnf but mysql still uses /var/tmp which never worked
for some reason. I see no errors in the mysql log file.

I believe I had it working before, but the my.cnf was wiped during an
incident when the disk was full.

This is ls -l for the tmp directory
drwxrwxrwx    2 root  admin     68  5 Jan 21:54 tmp

This is the /opt/local/etc/my.cnf file (with some commented out parts
removed)

[client]
#password    = your_password
port        = 3306
socket        = /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port        = 3306
socket        = /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
tmpdir = /opt/local/tmp
skip-locking
key_buffer_size = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_open_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
# Don't listen on a TCP/IP port at all. This can be a security enhancement,
# if all processes that need to connect to mysqld run on the same host.
# All interaction with mysqld must be made via Unix sockets or named pipes.
# Note that using this option without enabling named pipes on Windows
# (via the "enable-named-pipe" option) will render mysqld useless!
#
#skip-networking

# Replication Master Server (default)
# binary logging is required for replication
log-bin=mysql-bin

# binary logging format - mixed recommended
binlog_format=mixed

# required unique id between 1 and 2^32 - 1
# defaults to 1 if master-host is not set
# but will not function as a master if omitted
server-id    = 1

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[myisamchk]
key_buffer_size = 20M
sort_buffer_size = 20M