Can't set tmpdir in mysql

Darwin O'Connor doconno at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 11:04:26 PST 2014

I got it working now.

I did mean /opt/local/etc/my.cnf but it turns out the file need to be in
/opt/local/etc/mysql5/my.cnf. When I had a my.cnf in there it caused mysql
startup to fail saying "Manager of pid-file quit without updating file." I
thought it was a problem with the pid file. I finally saw in the log it was
"File ‘./mysql-bin.index’ not found (Errcode: 13)" I solved it by removing
binary logging from the my.cnf as recommended
here<http://birdchan.com/home/2011/09/26/osx-mysql-not-working-after-a-reboot/>
.

/var/tmp doesn't work unless I change the ownership from root:wheel to
root:admin, but that gets undone after reboot, so I created /opt/local/tmp.
It is using this directory correctly now, as specified in the my.cnf.