building clang-3.4 on 10.6.8

René JV Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 01:16:02 PST 2014

It's been ages that the 10.6 default (gcc 4.2) can no longer build clang. I've never considered that to be MacPort's fault, given the errors in the make log, so I never filed a ticket ...

BTW, the build process using gcc 4.8 finally went through, when I invoke make without -j from within the MP build directory. I did that to try and get the exact command that failed. My impression is that there may have been an issue with the parallelised build process (I use the default setting, i.e -j0). My MBP has 8Gb, but I also have lots of windows open in Chrome, so I may have hit a process cap. I also saw kernel log entries about emergency paging; with hindsight they could well be related.