jpilot

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 06:56:36 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Lenore Horner
<LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2014, at 10:20, John Ruschmeyer <jruschme at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think you want /dev/pilot to be a symbolic link to the device for your
> serial port. Something like:
> >
> > # ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot
>
> Doesn’t that mean I should have /dev/ttyUSB1 already?  I don’t.

OS X creates it dynamically for USB serial devices when needed. This means
it generally only exists during a sync, since that's the only time that the
device is visible as a serial device on USB. You may have to make the
device try to sync and then symlink to the USB tty device before it times
out.

In fact, jpilot somewhat depends on ancient Linux USB behavior which can be
emulated to some extent with udev, but may not be easily achieved on OS X
(and I recall having trouble with it even on older OS X, although it has
been many years since I had a Palm device).