Troubles installing ports with Macports 2.3.1

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Jul 1 11:25:47 PDT 2014

>> I suppose that, during the "Computing dependencies for auto-multiple-choice" phase, a lot of http requests are made to obtain port information and that these requests are not fully closed either by Macports or by the proxy. As this problem is recent (at least for me), it is perhaps related to a recent Java update (the proxy is a java application).
>
> During "computing dependencies", no http requests would be made by MacPorts, as far as I know. Port information for all ports is already on your computer; that's what you're updating every time you run "sudo port sync" or "sudo port selfupdate". Computing dependencies would however involve opening the portfile and portgroup files for each port that is a dependency of the port you're installing that's not already installed. If you have not yet installed (m)any ports, and the port you've requested has a lot of dependencies, this could be a lot of files and take some minutes. According to "port rdeps auto-multiple-choice", there are 300 ports to be considered. So you could possibly improve the situation by installing some of the dependencies individually first. Look at the output of "port deps auto-multiple-choice" and "sudo port install" some of those ports by themselves. Then later, return to trying to install auto-multiple-choice itself.

Are you suggesting MacPorts doesn't closed files after reading them? That would be an extreme error, and likely break Migration between system versions. It would also get spotted by any other user trying to install a huge dependency tree—yet we haven’t seen that.

This red herring will needlessly breaking users' `requested` flags in MacPorts.