Troubles installing ports with Macports 2.3.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 6 12:21:47 PDT 2014

On Jul 6, 2014, at 6:05 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Jul 06, 2014, at 12:30, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> $ ~/macports/base/portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl -v git
>> "git" is not distributable because its license "gpl" conflicts with license "OpenSSL" of dependency "openssl"
>
> Yay ...
>
> That's got nothing to do with Apple-specific policies, right?

Correct, it's just based our understanding of the openssl and gpl licenses.

> Any idea how Unix repositories get around that conflict?

If the git software's documentation explicitly includes an openssl exception to the gpl rules, then the license OpenSSLException can be added to the git port. Otherwise, a binary of git cannot be distributed (not by us, not by anyone).